Bayer's solutions can help formulators improve the efficiency and performance of coatings, lessen environmental impact
Indianapolis, May 7, 2012 — Formulators today are looking for ways to enhance efficiency, improve performance and lessen the environmental impact of coatings. Bayer MaterialScience LLC offers coatings formulators a wide range of coatings raw materials, backed by outstanding technical expertise, to help them solve these challenges.
From textile and ultraviolet- (UV) cure coatings, to polyaspartics and one-component (1K) polyurethane dispersions (PUDs) for coatings, Bayer MaterialScience LLC will showcase its expertise and technologies at the American Coatings Show (ACS) taking place May 8-10.
Three Bayer experts will share their coatings knowledge as they give presentations at the event.
- Mike Jeffries, strategic technology manager, Bayer MaterialScience LLC, will highlight the versatile chemistry of polyurethane coatings during a preconference tutorial. During "Tutorial 6 – Polyurethanes" (10:30 a.m. – noon, Monday, May 7), Jeffries will discuss the evolution of polyurethane chemistry in the formulation of high-performance coatings and the roles isocyanates, isocyanate coreactants, aqueous PUDs, UV-curable urethane acrylates and other polyurethane technologies play in enhancing a coating formulation.
- Michael Dvorchak, manager – intellectual property & new media, Coatings, Adhesives & Specialties, Bayer MaterialScience LLC, will lead a two-part session, "Tutorial 3: Radiation Curing," (8:30 a.m. - 10 a.m., Monday, May 7). Attendees of this pre-conference tutorial session will walk away with a better understanding of UV-cure coatings technology.
- Dr. Raymond Stewart, senior scientist, Coatings, Adhesives & Specialties business development, Bayer MaterialScience LLC, will discuss the opportunities and benefits associated with coatings formulated with PUDs used in continuous, high-speed OEM applications during his presentation, "1K Thermally Cured PUDs for Industrial Coatings Applications" (3:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 8).
In addition to these sessions, Bayer specialists will be on hand to discuss the latest products and innovations at its booth, #301.
For example, experts will explain how two-component (2K) polyurethane clearcoats, using raw materials from Bayer, provide excellent long-term durability, color retention and chemical resistance compared with previously used exterior automotive coatings.
Polyurethane gel coats, which offer a volatile organic compound (VOC)-free alternative for composite parts in the transportation, marine and wind energy markets, will also be highlighted. Polyurethane gel coats built on Bayer's Desmophen® NH and Desmodur® N technologies provide excellent weather, impact and abrasion resistance, compared with traditional gel coats.
Other technologies and materials that Bayer will feature in its booth include:
- High-performance topcoats based on Bayer's Desmodur XP-2763 resin and Desmophen NH polyaspartic technology developed to protect metal surfaces;
- High-durability waterborne polyurethane coatings technology developed by Bayer to stand up to harsh cleaners used on walls of healthcare facilities;
- Bayer's line of high-solids PUDs for the formulation of textile coatings; and
- Tough Desmophen technologies that produce hard-wearing polyaspartic topcoats perfect for Design/Build applications – scratch- and mar-resistant coatings that save the heavy repair costs of traditional coatings that become scratched during fabrication, handling, shipping or construction.
Stop by Bayer MaterialScience's booth, #301, during the show to discuss and see in-person how BMS raw materials and technologies can enhance your next formulation.
About Bayer MaterialScience LLC:
Bayer MaterialScience LLC is one of the leading producers of polymers and high-performance plastics in North America and is part of the global Bayer MaterialScience business with approximately 14,800 employees at 30 production sites around the world and 2011 sales of 10.8 billion euros. Bayer MaterialScience's 2011 sales in North America were $2.9 billion. The company manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical, and sports and leisure industries. Sustainability is central to Bayer MaterialScience LLC's business and is based around the key areas of innovation, product stewardship, excellence in corporate management, social responsibility and respect for the environment.
Tom Erdner, Phone: 412-777-5200
For more information about Bayer MaterialScience LLC's polyurethane technologies, call 412-777-3983 or visit www.bmsnafta.com.
This news release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer's public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Editor's Note: Follow news from Bayer MaterialScience LLC on Twitter: