Bayer MaterialScience LLC issues updated spray polyurethane foam insulation evaluation report
SPRING, TEXAS, JANUARY 11, 2013 — Consider it one-stop shopping for building product usage information: in the construction industry, the International Code Council Evaluation Service Report (ESR) lets architects, specifiers, contractors and building inspectors know that a product meets all required life safety and building codes.
Bayer MaterialScience LLC (http://spf.bayermaterialscience.com/) has revised its ESR 1655 with new data that outlines significant changes pertaining to thermal resistance values, fire-rated assemblies, prescriptive barriers, and code compliance. ESR 1655 covers Bayer's spray polyurethane foam (SPF) insulation, Bayseal® Open-Cell (OC).
Changes to the reissued ESR 1655 include:
- DC315 (manufactured by International Fireproof Technology, Inc.) may now be used as a coating over all Bayseal® OC SPF products. DC315 serves as an interior finish without the separate 15-minute thermal barrier.
- FIRESHELL® BMS-TC (manufactured by TPR2 Corporation) may now be used as a coating over all Bayseal® OC SPF products. FIRESHELL® BMS-TC serves as an interior finish without the 15-minute thermal barrier.
- FIRESHELL® BMS-IC (manufactured by TPR2 Corporation) may now be used in attics and crawlspaces.
- More detail on National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 285 tested exterior wall assemblies using Bayseal® Open Cell (OC) in Types I, II, III and IV construction
- Updated R-values for insulation installed at thicknesses greater than 3.5 inches.
- When required by code, all SPF insulation must be used with the appropriate ignition or thermal barrier; the specific combination of SPF and fire-resistive coating is dependent upon the type of construction.
As the technical evaluation services subsidiary to the International Code Council, ICC-ES provides unbiased, third-party building product technical evaluations.
"As with our recently reissued ESR 2072, ESR 1655 is a particularly good tool for the builder community," said Bayer spray insulation and roofing materials chemist Richard Romero. "We know builders and residential architects are challenged to keep up with code requirements. ESRs are a single-source resource to quickly find manufacturer usage requirements in response to applicable codes. Plus, the Bayseal® OC SPF ESR has a table to easily find the R-value in all common installation thicknesses."
Complete technical data sheets for all Bayseal® OC SPF insulations are available at http://spf.bayermaterialscience.com/library?id=99.
About Bayer MaterialScience LLC:
Bayer MaterialScience LLC is one of the leading producers of polymers and high-performance plastics in North America and is part of the global Bayer MaterialScience business with approximately 14,800 employees at 30 production sites around the world and 2011 sales of 10.8 billion euros. Bayer MaterialScience's 2011 sales in North America were $2.9 billion. The company manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical, and sports and leisure industries. Sustainability is central to Bayer MaterialScience LLC's business and is based around the key areas of innovation, product stewardship, excellence in corporate management, social responsibility and respect for the environment.
For more information about spray polyurethane foam product families from Bayer MaterialScience LLC, call 1-800-289-8272 or visit www.spf.bayermaterialscience.com.
# # #
This website may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer's public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Name: Carrie STallwitz
Name: Don Schumacher
Company: Bayer MaterialScience