Pittsburgh, March 6, 2013 — After continued attacks of vandalism on Grandview-Woodland Community Policing Centre's storefront in Vancouver, British Columbia, officials needed an affordable alternative to replace the repeatedly broken glass.
The solution needed to have glass-like transparency and be aesthetically appealing. For improved safety measures after an attack, policing center leaders wanted a material that resisted cracking and spalling on impact. These requirements ruled out laminated glass, exterior metal security screens, metal bars and glass with wire mesh.
Officials selected Bayer MaterialScience LLC's Makrolon® 15 polycarbonate sheet — ideal for use in vertical architectural glazing applications. Its benefits include high impact strength and abrasion and weathering resistance. Additionally, unlike security glass, it does not spall or crack on impact. Bayer also offers an unprecedented 15-year limited warranty on Makrolon 15 polycarbonate sheet for abrasion, breakage and weather resistance.
"Makrolon 15 polycarbonate sheet has been a lifesaver for our community policing centre," said Eileen Mosca, vice president, board of directors, Grandview-Woodland Community Policing Centre. "Before it was installed, vandals broke our storefront windows repeatedly. Over the course of the first year after Makrolon polycarbonate was installed, they threw large rocks at the windows which bounced off, spray painted anarchist graffiti messages on the windows which wiped off, and finally threw an entire gallon of white paint on the windows which washed off with a high powered hose. The Makrolon windows have survived it all and come through looking like new. We are very grateful to have them."
Makrolon® Architectural Family of Products
The Makrolon 15 polycarbonate sheet used in the community center is just one of several architectural glazing products featured in a new product brochure from Bayer — "Makrolon® Sheet Product Portfolio for High Performance Architectural Glazing." Highlighted products include:
- Makrolon® AR polycarbonate sheet — is recommended for interior partitions and windows, entry areas, and stair railings that require superior toughness and an exceptional level of abrasion and mar resistance.
- Makrolon® UV polycarbonate sheet — provides long-term ultra violet (UV) and impact resistance for entrance canopies, covered pedestrian walkways and more.
- Makrolon® GP Pebble polycarbonate sheet — is rated "burglar resistant" per UL 972 and offers visual privacy with good light transmission. The pebble finish also hides scratches.
- Hygard® CG polycarbonate sheet — meets or exceeds standard containment test agency standards and is often used in institutional and correctional facility containment laminates.
- Hygard® BR polycarbonate sheet — offers multi-shot resistance against a 9 mm submachine gun, is UL Level 6 listed and its hard-coated surface technology resists weathering, abrasion and graffiti.
- Hygard® EX polycarbonate sheet — this high performance series of blast resistant glazing meets and exceeds U.S. Department of Defense Unified Facilities Code for Anti-Terrorism Standard for Buildings.
"Building professionals readily look to our versatile, energy efficient polycarbonate sheet solutions for education facilities, jewelry stores and other commercial applications," said Ken Schwartz, marketing manager, Construction, Bayer MaterialScience.
The brochure is available for download at www.sheffieldplastics.com or through Bayer's customer service at (800) 254-1707 for hard copies.
About Bayer MaterialScience LLC:
Bayer MaterialScience LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance plastics in North America and is part of the global Bayer MaterialScience business with approximately 14,500 employees at 30 production sites around the world and 2012 sales of 11.5 billion euros. The company manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical, and sports and leisure industries. Sustainability is central to Bayer MaterialScience LLC's business and is based around the key areas of innovation, product stewardship, social responsibility and respect for the environment.
For more information about Bayer MaterialScience LLC's Makrolon® polycarbonate sheet products, contact Ken Schwartz at 413-429-6097 or visit www.sheffieldplastics.com.
# # #
This website may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer's public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Name: Cindy Race
Company: Bayer MaterialScience