Pittsburgh, September 7, 2016 — Whether traveling by bus or rail, passenger safety and comfort while reducing energy consumption and environmental impact are top of mind. Public transit agencies, vehicle manufacturers and component suppliers can achieve these goals with polycarbonate sheet from Covestro. Lightweight, cost-effective polycarbonate sheet offers energy-savings, durability and safety for mass transit applications.
Covestro will exhibit a range of polycarbonate sheet products for mass transportation at the Products & Services Showcase of the American Public Transportation Association's (APTA) Annual Meeting. Here’s a preview of the materials Covestro will highlight at the APTA Showcase, taking place Sept. 11-12 in Los Angeles, at booth #315.
- Makrolon® TG (train glazing) polycarbonate sheet – Used for various rail car windows as a lighter alternative to glass, Makrolon® TG polycarbonate sheet features exceptional durability. The material reduces the cost of unscheduled maintenance due to broken glass. It also meets stringent Federal Railroad Administration requirements for impact and ballistic performance, abrasion, chemical and UV resistance. Makrolon® TG polycarbonate sheet is available in clear and custom tints.
- Makrolon® BG (bus glazing) polycarbonate sheet – Utilized in side passenger bus windows, Makrolon® BG polycarbonate sheet offers abrasion and chemical resistance, and long-lasting outdoor weathering performance. The high impact strength of this durable product provides excellent protection against vandalism, reducing unplanned maintenance and repair. Makrolon® BG is available in clear and custom tints.
- Makrolon® FP (frit polycarbonate) polycarbonate sheet – Used for mass transit glazing, Makrolon® FP polycarbonate sheet can be configured to provide a direct replacement for fritted glass and includes a customizable black-out border. This allows for innovative installation methods, eliminating common threaded hardware, clips and glazing channels. The hard coat technology delivers excellent abrasion, chemical and weather resistance. Makrolon® FP polycarbonate sheet is available in clear, standard and custom tints.
- Bayblend® MTR (mass transit rail) polycarbonate sheet – Used for thermoformed seat parts, window surrounds and ceiling panels, Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet features superior rigidity, strength and impact resistance. This versatile product offers up to 30 percent weight savings compared to alterative materials, reducing overall vehicle weight. It also meets flame, smoke and toxicity regulatory compliance. From a production perspective, the material offers forming and fabrication advantages, including cycle times that are faster than most comparable materials, for greater cost effectiveness. Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet is available in multiple colors and textures.
- Bayblend® MTR AG (mass transit rail anti-graffiti) polycarbonate sheet – This product extension of Bayblend® MTR sheet offers the same performance characteristics with an anti-graffiti surface and decorative patterns.
APTA Annual Meeting attendees are invited to visit Covestro’s booth #315 to learn more about polycarbonate sheet materials for public transportation or to speak with a Covestro expert.
About Covestro LLC:
Covestro LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance polymers in North America and is part of the global Covestro business with 2015 sales of EUR 12.1 billion. Covestro manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical and sports and leisure industries. The Covestro group has 30 production sites around the globe and employed approximately 15,800 people at the end of 2015.
Makrolon® and Bayblend® are registered trademarks of Covestro Group.
Cindy Race, Phone: +1 413-528-7812
# # #
This press release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro’s public reports which are available on the Covestro website at www.covestro.com. Covestro assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Editor’s Note: Follow news from Covestro on Twitter: