Pittsburgh, February 27, 2017 — The market for light-emitting diodes (LEDs) in lighting is booming as LEDs continue to move into the mainstream. For lighting applications ranging from street lights to automotive and building to advertising displays, LEDs are a durable, energy efficient, economical and attractive lighting option. To help lighting designers and OEMs bring new solutions to the LED market, Covestro offers a range of polycarbonate resins, sheets, films and coatings that meet a variety of design and performance requirements.
Covestro will showcase its diverse polycarbonate materials and highlight LED applications featuring Covestro materials at booth #605 during Strategies in Light, February 28 - March 2 in Anaheim, California. Here’s a sneak peek.
Whether designing or manufacturing an LED lighting component for commercial, industrial or residential use, Covestro has the right material solution for the task.
- LED lamps and luminaire optics need increased heat resistance and higher lumen output, which can be achieved with Makrolon® LED grades that can function at temperatures up to 120° C. Specially developed for use in lenses and secondary optics, Covestro’s LED grades of polycarbonate have an extremely high purity resulting in greater stability against LED light-induced degradation in comparison with standard or optical grades. Makrolon® LED2643 clear polycarbonate exhibits high light transmission, good flow properties for injection molding and is UV stabilized. Makrolon® LED2245 polycarbonate is a clear material that provides even higher light transmission of 90 percent at 2.0 mm with excellent flow properties.
- Heat management is crucial to the success and longevity of LED lamps and luminaires. To meet the need for efficient thermal management, Covestro offers Makrolon® thermally conductive (TC) grades. Makrolon® TC8010 polycarbonate is targeted for use in LED heat sinks with an optimized design by reducing components through consolidation. Makrolon® TC8030 polycarbonate, which offers Covestro’s highest thermal conductivity, is also available for use in those applications and has a UL 94 flame class of V-0 at 2.0 mm, with an f1 listing.
- Makrolon® reflective white (RW) grades from Covestro have high efficiency in reflecting visible light. Both Makrolon® RW6265X and Makrolon® RW6267X polycarbonates are flame-retardant, low-viscosity grades with diffusive reflectivity up to 96 percent. Makrolon® RW6267X polycarbonate has the added benefit of being UV stabilized. Both grades have a UL 94 flame class of V-0 at 1.5 mm.
Covestro’s booth will feature not only its outstanding materials, but it will also showcase applications incorporating them.
- Lumenova™ reflector lamps – Lumenova™ R20, BR40 and BR30 reflector lamps are great replacements for inefficient incandescent BR and CFL lamps. The reflector lamps utilize flame-retardant, reflective white Makrolon® RW6267X polycarbonate for the optical mixing chamber – the area between the internal LED and the outer lens. They are also rated with the highest lumen output in their respective categories on the ENERGY STAR certified products list.
- Kenall Lighting outdoor luminaires – Specialty Makrolon® LED-grade polycarbonate plastics helped to optimize the function and benefits of Kenall Lighting’s luminaires. Kenall Lighting chose the LED grades because of their improved light transmission and efficiency when compared with competitive products. Kenall utilized Makrolon® polycarbonate for secondary and tertiary optics within parking garages and its high bay product line.
- TerraGlo Lighting ALBA Series luminaires – TerraGlo Lighting chose Makrolon® polycarbonate when it needed an optically clear material that has a UL 94 flame class of 5VA at 3.0 mm for its ALBA Series luminaires. Makrolon® FR7087 is a transparent, flame-retardant polycarbonate resin that has proven reliability in demanding applications.
Attendees of Strategies in Light are invited to visit Covestro’s booth #605 to learn more about global products and services for customers in the lighting market.
About Covestro LLC:
Covestro LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance polymers in North America and is part of the global Covestro business with 2016 sales of EUR 11.9 billion. Covestro manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical and sports and leisure industries. The Covestro group has 30 production sites around the globe and employed approximately 15,600 people at the end of 2016.
Makrolon® is a registered trademark of Covestro Group.
John Skabardonis, Phone: +1 412-413-5444
# # #
This press release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro’s public reports which are available on the Covestro website at www.covestro.com. Covestro assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Editor’s Note: Follow news from Covestro on Twitter: