Pittsburgh, October 5, 2017 — Public transit agencies depend on high-performance materials to provide safety, weight reduction and longevity for bus and rail transportation. Innovations in materials from Covestro help mitigate vandalism and reduce unplanned maintenance. Lightweight and cost-effective polycarbonate sheet offers security, energy savings and durability for an array of public transportation applications.
Covestro will exhibit a range of polycarbonate sheet products for mass transit at the 2017 American Public Transportation Association (APTA) EXPO. Here’s a preview of the materials Covestro will highlight at the industry’s premier event, October 9-11 in Atlanta, booth #3707.
- Makrolon® TG (train glazing) polycarbonate sheet – Used for rail car windows as a lighter alternative to glass, Makrolon® TG polycarbonate sheet features exceptional durability. The material reduces the cost of unscheduled maintenance due to broken glass and meets stringent Federal Railroad Administration requirements. Makrolon® TG polycarbonate sheet is available in clear and custom tints.
- Makrolon® BG (bus glazing) polycarbonate sheet – A lightweight alternative to glass side passenger bus windows, Makrolon® BG polycarbonate sheet offers abrasion and chemical resistance, and long-lasting outdoor weathering performance. The high impact strength of this durable product provides excellent protection against vandalism to keep the fleet on the road longer. Makrolon® BG is available in clear and custom tints.
- Makrolon® FP (frit polycarbonate) polycarbonate sheet – Used for mass transit glazing, Makrolon® FP polycarbonate sheet can be configured to provide a direct replacement for fritted glass and includes a customizable black-out border. This allows for innovative installation methods, eliminating common threaded hardware, clips and glazing channels. The hard coat technology delivers excellent abrasion, chemical and weather resistance. Makrolon® FP polycarbonate sheet is available in clear, standard and custom tints.
- Makrolon® AS2 (ANSI Z26.1 AS2) polycarbonate sheet – Ideal for driver barriers and surrounds where operator safety and visibility are critical. This ultra-hard coated polycarbonate sheet has exceptional impact resistance and clarity, providing unobstructed sightlines for maximum range of vision. The protective coating guards against abrasion, UV and chemical attacks. Only half as heavy as similar glass products, Makrolon® AS2 reduces weight on the partition system and vehicle while providing maximum protection.
- Bayblend® MTR (mass transit rail) polycarbonate sheet – Used for various rail interior components including thermoformed seat parts, window masks and ceiling panels, Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet features superior rigidity, strength and impact resistance. This versatile product offers up to 30 percent weight savings compared to alternative materials, reducing overall car weight. It also meets flame, smoke and toxicity requirements. From a production perspective, the material offers forming and fabrication advantages, including cycle times that are faster than most comparable materials, for greater cost effectiveness. Bayblend® MTR polycarbonate sheet is available in multiple colors and textures.
- Bayblend® MTR AG (mass transit rail anti-graffiti) polycarbonate sheet – This product extension of Bayblend® MTR sheet offers the same performance characteristics with an anti-graffiti surface and decorative patterns.
APTA Annual Meeting attendees are invited to visit Covestro’s booth #3707 to learn more about polycarbonate sheet materials for public transportation or to speak with a Covestro expert.
About Covestro LLC:
Covestro LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance polymers in North America and is part of the global Covestro business, which is among the world’s largest polymer companies with 2016 sales of EUR 11.9 billion. Business activities are focused on the manufacture of high-tech polymer materials and the development of innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, construction, wood processing and furniture, electrical and electronics, and medical industries. Other sectors include sports and leisure, cosmetics and the chemical industry itself. Covestro has 30 production sites worldwide and employed approximately 15,600 people at the end of 2016.
Cindy Race, Phone: +1 413-528-7812
Makrolon® and Bayblend® are registered trademarks of the Covestro group.
# # #
This press release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro’s public reports which are available on the Covestro website at www.covestro.com. Covestro assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Editor’s Note: Follow news from Covestro on Twitter: