Diverse materials for building and construction on display at AIA 2018
Pittsburgh, June 19, 2018 — High-performance materials allow architects, engineers and others in the building and construction industry to craft long-lasting, aesthetically pleasing and environmentally sound structures. At the AIA Conference on Architecture 2018, June 21-23, in New York City, Covestro LLC will showcase its broad portfolio of materials at booth #4861. The company will also display a variety of applications incorporating its materials. Here are a few highlights:
Polyurethane-enabled panelization for better homebuilding
Visitors to the Covestro booth can learn about PUReWall™, a cost-effective, high-performance, insulated structural wall panel for residential construction.
PUReWall™ panels are constructed at a panelization facility using conventional wood frames and polyurethane-based insulation that is both continuous and between framing. The rigid polyiso board continuous insulation reduces thermal bridging and has an integrated weather-resistive barrier that eliminates the need for plastic house wrap.
When combined with a structural closed cell spray polyurethane foam used in the stud cavity, PUReWall™ panels provide a similar unit shear capacity to continuously sheathed wood structural panels. Covestro developed and now licenses this game-changing technology.
Attendees can learn more about other polyurethane solutions for building and construction at the Covestro booth:
- Open cell spray polyurethane foam functions as an air barrier to help seal the building envelope. It is excellent for residential construction or in warmer climates and provides good R-value per inch. It can also be applied to the underside of the roof deck, to create a semi-conditioned, enclosed attic space ideal for locating ductwork and HVAC equipment.
- Oriented strand board (OSB) with polyurethane binder features superior moisture resistance, in addition to high-performance strength and stiffness.
Customizable coatings for construction
Polyaspartics and polyurethanes help protect a variety of substrates from chemicals, abrasion and weather. At AIA, coating raw materials from Covestro that can be customized for a wide variety of applications will be on display:
- Waterborne polyurethane floor coatings have excellent resistance to abrasion and chemicals. They also have very low volatile organic compounds (VOC) and odor compared to solventborne polyurethane and epoxy. Working well as an exterior brick paver sealer, decorative concrete topcoats or industrial floor finishes, these two-component (2K) aliphatic urethane coatings are ideal for architectural applications.
- Polyaspartic floor coatings provide excellent abrasion resistance, reducing maintenance costs as well as extending service life. Offering high film build and fast curing, these coatings are ideal as a clearcoat over decorative stained concrete. They can also be used for decorative chip systems and sanded anti-slip finishes.
A more colorful window into your world
Traditionally, white window frames have been the status quo in residential building. However, consumers can now have the color and customization they crave, thanks to an innovative new coating technology from Covestro. Bayhydrol® UH 2887 polyurethane dispersion (PUD) is an easy-to-use, one-component (1K) coating resin that performs comparably to 2K waterborne coatings.
Recently introduced to the North American market, this fast-drying coating makes the painting process more efficient by eliminating the need to mix two components. It also reduces waste by offering no potlife limitations. Vinyl window coatings made from Bayhydrol® UH 2887 PUD offer superior performance and chemical properties, as well as extraordinary weathering properties, and will be on display at the Covestro booth.
During AIA, Covestro experts will share their knowledge at the Covestro Learning Lounge (#5057LL).
- Offsite Construction for Residential Construction: Jim Lambach, marketing manager, Building and Construction, Covestro LLC, will discuss the market dynamics driving the demand for moving more of the construction process offsite, while introducing an emerging panelization technology that has application in single and multi-family homes. Days and times for the presentation are: Thursday, June 21, 10:30-11:30 a.m., 2:15-3:15 p.m., and Friday, June 22, 12:30-1:30 p.m., 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- High-Performance Coatings for Industrial and Decorative Floors: Steven Reinstadtler, marketing manager, Construction Coatings, Adhesives and Sealants, Covestro LLC, will discuss how to use high-performance floor coatings to adapt, retask or preserve new or existing spaces as a seamless alternative to vinyl or ceramic tile or sheet flooring. Days and times for the presentation are: Thursday, June 21, 12:30-1:30 p.m., 4:00-5:00 p.m., and Friday, June 22, 10:30-11:30 a.m., 2:15-3:15 p.m.
AIA attendees are invited to attend these Learning Lounge presentations, and to visit Covestro at its booth (#4861) to discover more about the company’s portfolio of material solutions for the building and construction industry.
About Covestro LLC:
Covestro LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance polymers in North America and is part of the global Covestro business, which is among the world’s largest polymer companies with 2017 sales of EUR 14.1 billion. Business activities are focused on the manufacture of high-tech polymer materials and the development of innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, construction, wood processing and furniture, electrical and electronics and healthcare industries. Other sectors include sports and leisure, cosmetics and the chemical industry itself. Covestro has 30 production sites worldwide and employed approximately 16,200 people at the end of 2017.
Sarah Schade, Phone: +1 412 413 5843
Bayhydrol® is a registered trademark of Covestro AG.
# # #
This press release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro’s public reports which are available on the Covestro website at www.covestro.com. Covestro assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Editor’s Note: Follow news from Covestro on Twitter: