Covestro has called Pittsburgh home since 1958. Our suburban Pittsburgh campus serves as Covestro’s North American headquarters – with roughly 700 employees. In addition to supporting the region through its corporate service functions, Covestro’s Pittsburgh location is also the premiere technical center for Covestro in North America, spanning all three business units: Polycarbonates; Polyurethanes; and Coatings, Adhesives & Specialties.
The following is an overview of the technical services, expertise and equipment that support research and development at the Pittsburgh site.
- Polycarbonate Technical Center: Features injection molding machines, sheet extrusion lines and application development testing laboratories. With access to state-of-the-art technology, technical experts are able to develop new molding technology, as well as resin, film and sheet products and applications for key customers.
- Polyurethane Technical Center: Houses a variety of laboratories and processing machinery that allow technical experts to develop, test and improve polyurethane raw materials and systems that address the current and future market needs. It includes equipment for the continuous production of polyiso insulation boards, a continuous pouring line for flexible foam and pouring machines to produce insulative foam for full-size refrigerators and water heaters.
- Coatings, Adhesives & Specialties Technical Center: A state-of-the-art spray booth and application equipment allow customers to explore innovative approaches to productivity, efficiency and sustainability improvements. The facility is designed to formulate and test a wide range of coating, sealant and adhesive formulations.
- Materials Characterization Laboratories: Provide analytical support to Covestro’s three business units and encompasses the areas of Polymer Analytics, Polymer Physics and Environmental Analytics.
- Physical Testing Laboratories: Provide material testing using nationally and internationally recognized test standards and practices. This facility provides support in the areas of Mechanical Performance, Thermal Performance and Accelerated Weathering.